Friday, February 4, 2011

Life is fleeting.....

...and we sometimes forget.


My life has been one big mess lately. It was bound to happen, because every time I quietly muster to myself how great life is....it always takes a turn and something always happens. I also blame it in an odd number year--2011. If you know me well, you know how much I hate odd numbers. It has put a hex on me since I was born on an odd year and continues to this very day. I won't put a timeline out for you of all the shitty things that have happened to me on an odd numbered year, but just know that I hate it. I really do.

I've been griping about work lately. Doesn't everybody have one of those days? Nothing important that I care to dish out on this blog, but it's just been hectic and I am trying to deal with it and stay positive.

I've also found myself griping about registering my son up for little league. For some reason, we aren't able to this year because we are "out of boundaries." I honestly thought this whole "boundary" crap was over and done with years ago. Like, I remember when I was going to school we had to be in "district" to go to that specific school. And if you weren't--too bad. But this is Little League, and while I pushed and complained, and spoke to the President--no one budged. We are probably 500 feet away from the boundary lines, and while I joked if they wanted me to go outside and stick my foot over the boundary line--no one found it funny.

I griped about an old friend of mine who I haven't spoken to in months. Our relationship died off somewhere and I am still trying to wrap my head around what happened. If you know me, you know that I need closure. Having unanswered questions and reasons just drives me absolutely bonkers.

My "Aunt Flo" came in the midst of all my griping and she added more stress to what I was already encountering.

***********************************************

And then I hopped online to Facebook. One of my co-workers just lost her mother to cancer. I read the posts every day hoping for a good update, but it wasn't good this time. She fought a STRONG fight for 2 years and lost her battle the other day. Though I didn't know her, I followed her blog and always received updates from my co-worker. It always felt like I knew her. And so when I would hear about her struggling in the hospital, I almost felt like I struggled there with her. And I prayed....for her....her family....for everyone around her because she was just too young and life is just so unfair.

One of my really good friends from High School also lost her mother this week, and while I thought I could fight off the tears from my co-worker's mother passing away, I found myself in a constant pool of tears. Her death was sudden as well, and although she was in and out of the hospital, I never thought "death" would be coming her way anytime soon.

This morning I read about a Physician at my hospital whose grandmother just passed away one week prior to her 90th birthday celebration. I stared at the photo that the Physician posted on his facebook page. She was beautiful. Her caption stated that her "90th Birthday party would just become a celebration of her life."

And so while I was reading these posts and crying a couple rivers over here. My gripes were so damn trivial. Just when you think that your life is bad, or something doesn't go your way, you have to stop and think about all those other people you know who are privately struggling with their own battles and their family.

Knowing that these 3 people lost a loved one this week, just puts a lot of things in perspective for me. Things could always be worse, and we really need to take advantage each day of all the good things that do come our way. We need to stay positive, because all the work crap, the friend I no longer speak to or a stupid Little League system that is corrupted--just doesn't matter in the long scheme of things.

Life is fleeting. We need to take a deep breath and live for each beautiful moment that we have.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin