Wednesday, September 1, 2010

You can call me "Mom."


To say I had a hectic day yesterday, is a complete understatement. I was pressed for time, I was missing things that I SWORE were in places they should have been in, I was sweating (not unusual for me), and I kept thinking that I was forgetting something. I am still not certain what that "something" was.

I tossed and turned all night--AGAIN. It MUST be all the running around I am doing this week. It HAS to be!

Did I make Little A's lunch? Yeah.

Did he finish all of his homework last night? Yeah.

Did I pack all of D's items for daycare/preschool? I think so.

With both kids dressed and ready for school, and myself all one big hot mess (and trying to get ready to go to work in just a few hours), we headed off to take Little A to school. We headed over to his locker to drop off his Toy Story backpack and lunchbag, but the D man was holding the lunchbag and wouldn't let go. I mean REALLY wouldn't let go.

On top of it all, I had to talk to the teacher about some items in my son's homework folder that had some other kids' name on it. I let Little A run off to the playground while I wrestled with the D man and the Toy Story lunchbag. I took it away, but not without a fight, several "No's", and some tears...plenty of them.

I could hardly get a word in edgewise with his teacher, and I found myself talking in super-fast mode to get my questions out while also rushing her into answering those questions. I tried to keep my "happy" mom-face on while the D man was screaming and crying and angry at the fact that the Toy Story lunchbag wasn't in his possession.

I wanted to cry. I really did.


All I wanted was a moment of this teacher's time to have a decent conversation with her without the little guy causing such a scene. I left without finishing and hurried the crazy kid back into the car where all he did was scream at the top of his lungs and kick and cry.

We headed home briefly (which was not in the plans at all that morning). I wanted to find the D man's Toy Story backpack. I knew it was home....somewhere.

We ran inside. Literally. And checked every room for his backpack. Nothing. I checked closets, the laundry room, the bathroom, the garage, and even the car, but I found nothing. I apologized to him, but he continued to cry.

We got back inside the car, and headed over to his school. It was the D man's first day. I tried to calm him down before we got there because I did not want a screaming child at this school too. He quieted down the second we got inside and he left to go play on the playground (just like his older brother did on his first day). I snapped a few pics and headed out because I had maybe 30 minutes to head home and finish putting myself together for work.

It was only 9:30 in the morning and already I was exhausted, burnt out and bawling my eyes out in the car. For once in my life, I really truly felt like a mom. All the running around, the lack of sleep, the short conversations with adults, the screaming, the trying to find a stupid backpack, and the feeling that I forgot something just really consumed me at that moment in time. This was the first day of what the school weeks have in store for us.

I am taking it a day at a time.

I know that not every day is going to be like this one.

I know that I can't always make the little one happy.

I know that I can't let days like that get to me.

I know that I should probably wake up a tad bit earlier so I can get more things done.

I know that I will find that darn backpack.




11 comments:

Life is Like a Box of Chocolates said...

Ahhh. Can I send you a virtual hug? I hope today was a lot better. And you are right; it is not always that bad and don't feel alone we all have days like that!

Dina's Days said...

Oh my gosh, so adorable!

New follower from the blog hops. Stop by Dina's Days!

http://www.dinasdays.com

Dina's Days said...

New follower from the blog hops. Stop by Dina's Days!

http://www.dinasdays.com

PatriciaRaeDesigns said...

thank you for commenting on my blog, i'll be following back as well

Amanda
http://patriciaraedesigns.blogspot.com/

I♥thesecrazykids said...

Cute little guys! I'm a new follower from Feature you Friday. Have a great Friday! Please stop by and follow me back! http://atrioofboys.blogspot.com

Mommy Minded said...

Hey there!

Thank you so much for stopping by Mommy Minded! You son is so precious!!! I am following you back!

I hope that you have a GREAT weekend!

Megan
www.mommyminded.blogspot.com

Marissa said...

that post was HILARIOUS! You have a precious family too :) Found you from friendly fridays!

New follower, have a great weekend!!

Discovering the Me in Mommy said...

Thanks for visiting! I'm following back!

Tish said...

New follower! Your boys are adorable! I hope your having a better day!

Followed you over from FFF!

www.mymommyquacks.blogspot.com

Chana said...

Oooohh...that sounds so stressful! I'm so sorry! I'm your newest follower from NFF and hoping you can stop by my space and return the favor! Cute blog!
http://www.mammatown.blogspot.com

Ladii Aponte said...

OMG i have so had some of those days! lol i just Blame the MR and say he lost things lol! returning the follow and thanks for stopping by my blog

www.ladii-aponte.blogspot.com

Blog Widget by LinkWithin