Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Numb3r5 and Passw0rd5

I can't even begin to tell you how many times a day I am prompted for a password or a PIN of some kind. Whether I'm using my debit at the grocery store, checking my email, or unlocking my phone: it's there asking me the same thing over and over again....password? PIN?

It's becoming sooo annoying that it has actually sneaked it's little way into my blog.

The nerve.

While I was on vacation last month, I had problems with my cell phone which resulted in me contacting my service provider: Tmobile. So I get on the phone with the non-English speaking CSR who told me that he would have to ask me some security questions before we could proceed. Are you kidding me? I can't even talk to him without answering some secret questions that only I know? Really?

Since I was already pissed off at the issue I was having while on vacation, I was even MORE ticked off that I would now have to jump through some hoops JUST for him to talk to me.

He asked me my address, mom's maiden name, and some other obligatory question I really can't remember at this time, but then.....THEN, are you ready for this??.....He asked me what my "password" was? WTF!!! After I already verified EVERYTHING else, he asks me for my password that I probably gave to them when I signed up with them 11 years ago. I don't remember!!

So I guessed.

It was wrong.

I guessed again.

Wrong answer.

After the third time guessing and AGAIN getting the wrong answer, he informed me that unfortunately he would not be able to help me any further. Any further? You haven't even helped me yet! We've been playing the 20 questions game as far as I'm concerned.

My blood was boiling and there was steam literally coming out of my ears at this point. I knew quite well that this smarmy little guy on the other end was probably glad he didn't have to help me, and once again read from his "CSR script" that we couldn't go any further.

I EXPLODED!!

The words came out of my mouth with no end in sight. And although I heard him trying to get a word in edgewise, I wouldn't let him. You are on MY turf now buddy. Feel my wrath!!

Finally, after hearing my vicious roar and threat to leave them for Verizon, he was kind enough to bypass the password issue and even started a new one for me. I got the help I needed and the stupid phone issue was resolved.

But seriously, why aren't things simple anymore? Why is there a password for everything?

You want to check your bank account online? Enter your username and password

Socializing with friends online? email and password

Debit card transaction? PIN

Logging into my computer at work? username and password

Entering my son's old day care facility? PIN

Want to see what your kid is eating at school? username and password

Playing the 20 Questions game with a Tmobile CSR? 3 random questions and then your "secret password"

Whether it's online, in person or over the phone, somewhere...somehow we are asked to verify ourselves. And I, like most people, stick to one username and one password to go along with it. We are busy people and we don't have time or a really good memory for that matter to have 8 different usernames and passwords. What really irks me are those sites that want you to pick a username the way they want you to.

For instance, let's say my normal everyday username for everything is "iblogalot." There are sites out there that ask for at least 8 characters in your username. Obviously this would work for me. However some ask for 10 characters with at least 1 number, 1 upper case, 1 lower case and 1 random symbol.

In the end, my username becomes something like this: Fthiscrap1!

How do you feel about having to log into and verify everything with usernames, passwords and PINs?

2 comments:

Letherton said...

funny story

I stumbled across your blog and wanted to say hi.
Take a minute an check my blog out
I have lots of great giveaways going on.
Thanks :)

ethertonphotography.blogspot.com

Beckie said...

Totally laughing out loud while reading this! I have to write down passwords and usernames in a small notebook that is hidden in our safe....like I can remember them all!! This all reminds me of a scene in Couples Retreat (please tell me you've seen it) his house alarm goes off and they need his password....ASSTASTIC! lol...fabulous! Ok enough of my rambling, thanks for following my blog and I am now your newest follower!!!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin