Monday, April 12, 2010

He aims to please.

To say I had a rough weekend is an understatement.

I worked the entire time (maybe a little longer than I should have) and was on very little sleep. 4-5 hours I believe. For those that may not know my work schedule. I'll lay it out out here for you.....

I work 12-hour shifts.

It makes for an extremely long day, and sadly enough I miss out on a lot of things my family get to enjoy on the weekends....birthday parties, random festivals that our city or surrounding cities may have, parades, museums, parks.......

....writing out this list certainly isn't make me feel any better.

So on Saturday night when I came home from a loooooong day at work, Big A said he was going to run some errands and come back with "something" for me that would make me feel better. I already knew what this "something" was because every time I am exhausted, or sick, or acting like a bitch because I'm on my period, he'll always run to the store and bring back flowers, chocolate or a People magazine. I knew it had to be one of the three.

He returned from the store with the magazine, and although I was about ready to doze off just laying on the sofa there, I got a sudden burst of adrenaline to crack open that mag and sink my head into some juicy celeb gossip.

I snagged it from his hands and bypassed Kenny Chesney on the front cover. I hate Country Music and anything country that goes along with it. I hate buckles and spurs, cowboy hats and boots, and I am in no way a fan of Kenny.

I started reading the first few pages which always have the "Celeb Sightings"....so and so is eating a sandwich...so and so is playing with their kids in the park....so and so is seen outside of Whole Foods.

I flipped through a few more pages only to discover that it was more country celebs, and more reason for me to throwup because there was already way too much country in my house. I flipped to the front of the magazine to discover that I was holding the Country Special of People magazine. Big A picked up the wrong one.

By the way, anyone want it?

I can't even begin to explain the level of disappointment I was feeling at that moment....especially on something as trivial as a magazine. People en espanol wouldn't have had the same effect on me, and I don't even know a lick of Spanish. I think it was really the whole country thing that got on every single one of my nerves that night.

Big A tried really hard to make me happy that night, but having this cryptonite sitting on my lap with me, certainly wasn't bringing a smile to my face. I went to bed grumpy and probably more tired than before.

I love my hubby so much, and I'm sure he was upset that the mag was a failure. I appreciate his efforts to please me more than he'll ever know.

But I try to look on the bright side of things....

We can now have a really exciting bonfire in our backyard tonight, right?

3 comments:

Ally said...

Did you say you worked a 12-hour shift? Oy, that's rough! Not sure I could do and you're a mom too? You must be exhausted girl!

Visit me at FourthGradeNothing.com

Danielle said...

Ohhh man that is a bummer. I'd be dissapointed too.

Have fun with the bonfire. & Thanks for stopping by today. Following you now.

Menopausal New Mom said...

Nope, don't want the magazine either but this demonstrates beautifully one of my mom's favorite sayings "The road to hell is paved with good intentions", I just did a post about it last week.

Thanks for finding me and the follow :)
Deb

Blog Widget by LinkWithin