Thursday, November 12, 2009

You: On a Diet


A year before I met big A, I was heavy. I was going into my senior year in college--fat and boyfriendless. I don't exactly know what spawned my sudden burst of motivation to lose weight. It may have been a combination of the fact that my clothes weren't fitting well anymore, or the fact that I was surrounded by several college girls with skinny waists, boyfriends and cute clothes.

Now, I wasn't some depressed loser by any means, so hopefully you aren't picturing me standing against the wall at my University looking at all the skinny girls and wishing I was one of them.

It wasn't like that at all. I had a great group of friends that I hung out with, a job, and good grades. But the one thing that irritated me was my weight.

I slowly started cutting things out of my diet......slooowwwly. AND, I started doing little exercises every night before bed.....sit-ups, running in place, push ups, arm circles, leg lifts, arms lifts, squats....you name it. I made a steady count of how many I was doing, and each month I made it a goal to increase that number. I did this every single night no matter what. When I was on vacation with my college girlfriends, I did it. They probably thought I was nuts or that I could at least cut it out while we were on vacation, but I couldn't. It became a habit, and I liked it. I felt good before going to bed....relaxed.

Within 6 months, I had lost 55 lbs.


I felt great and I looked good. I remember shopping with my mom and I actually had to go to the "teen" section to get clothes. I was amazed at my accomplishment.

I kept my figure up until I got pregnant with Little A and then things kind of went downhill from there. I gained ALL my weight back and I had a difficult time trying to burn it off. I had surgery shortly after I gave birth to Little A to repair 4 hernias in my stomach. I got INSANELY huge when I was pregnant with him and I think my body couldn't handle it. After the surgery, it was difficult to get back into an exercise routine. I was in pain for quite some time, plus having a little guy running around everywhere as a first-time-mom-who-doesn't-know-what-she's-doing, certainly didn't make it any easier.

When Little A was 3, I decided to diet...somehow. Big A and I purchased the DVD and book "You: On a Diet" by Dr.Oz. The book was an amazing read. It will literally explain to you what different kinds of foods do to your body. So, we rummaged through our pantry and threw out all the bad food.

The enriched flours.

The sat and trans fats.



The hydrogenated oils.

And the sugars.

We hardly had anything left.

I couldn't believe how much of this crap is in the food we eat! Can you? Check your labels!

We started to eat differently, and took long walks a few days out of the week. I dropped 10 lbs right away and so did Big A. Temptation got the best of me, and although I was able to drop another 10 lbs, I was back to some old eating habits again. Big A lost 30 lbs, but then went back to his old habits too.

And then I got pregnant with D. I did much better during my pregnancy with him. I packed on a total of 24 lbs and lost it all plus some after he was born. Nursing and pumping certainly helps! But when that ended, so did the weight loss. And pretty soon it came back again.

It wasn't until this week that we decided to do this dieting things all over again and in full force. We are getting older, and the effects of obesity wreak havoc, disease and even death on your body. I won't have it anymore!!

We bought a membership over at the YMCA by our house this week and are throwing out our "bad" food. I know we can do it. I'll keep you posted.

This is the beginning of MY story, "Me: On a Diet."

7 comments:

Kirsty said...

Yeah! Go you! I look forward to hearing about your progress. You've done it before, so you know you can do it again. Good for you.

Laun and Catherine said...

Good for you!

Lise said...

Hooray for you! You can do it! Almost 3 months ago, I made the same decision. I've been working my hiney off, and today I reached the 30 pounds lost mark!!! Let me know if you have moments of needing motivation. I'm here for you!

Unknown Mami said...

I know you can do it too!

Virginia (Jenny) said...

Wow! Good for you. It is so hard to diet around these parts with fast foods every where and convienent foods being sold in the store. I've been trying to watch my calories through www.sparkpeople.com but it's hard because I don't have a scale and I like to see if I've made any progress.

You can do it! You are right, it becomes a habit after awhile. It's just hard starting off.

Bekah said...

Good for you guys!!! It's so wonderful that you and Big A are doing this together, it always makes such a difference to have that support. Best of luck! I can't wait to hear updates!!!

SimplyGigi said...

I think this is a great blog topic! I've been meaning to do this. I think it will motivate me to eat well more often and do more excersize!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin