Friday, September 11, 2009

Where were you?

We all know what day it is today.

There is no need to remind you or anyone else.

What I want to know from you is.....where were you when you heard the news?

I was a senior in college.

It was a Tuesday and I had a couple late afternoon classes, so needless to say, my lazy ass was sleeping in. I heard a loud bang on my door and my roommate told me to get up. She had a tendency to be up super early, and 5-6 am for me was much to early to get up. I ignored the loud knock and proceeded to sleep. Again, she knocked and urged me to wake up because someone had crashed into the Twin Towers. My heart was racing, and I ran into her room where she had her TV on the news station.

We watched in horror as that one tower was up in flames. And me, still in somewhat of a daze from waking up so early and trying to make sense of what was going on, quietly sat down in her room with my eyes wide open, mouth agape and my hands on my chin in utter shock.

Soon we watched the other tower hit. And I began to think the world was coming to an end.

"This is it'" I said to myself.

My roommate and I looked at each other. Trying to understand what the hell was going on. I quickly called my friends and told them to turn on their TV's. I shuddered as I watched people jump from their windows. Something that the news cameras soon veered away from as I was watching things completely unedited.

It was the worst thing to wake up to, so I cried and I prayed.

And so again I ask, because I want to know.......

Where were you when this happened??

3 comments:

Mommy Dear said...

So sad.

I was in bed, like you. My mom rushed into my room telling me to turn on the TV. I watched as the 2nd plane crashed into the tower. I was completely and utterly bewildered. Sad, confused.

I stayed in my jammies that morning and all day long I was glued to the TV. I cried when i watched people jump out of the windows. That was too much. Then when the first tower fell I was in such a state of disbelief before the tears came down again.

I will never forget the feelings I had that day.
Thanks for posting.

Bekah said...

I was a sophomore in college. One of my roommates woke me with the shocking news. We just watched in horror. I was interning at a TV station at the time and was called in to work early. As journalists we are supposed to be unbiased and unaffected by the news, but we all had a hard time working that day and couldn't keep our eyes from veering to the overhead TVs as the horrifying images came across the screen.

Virginia (Jenny) said...

I was sleeping next to my newborn son (who is now 8) and my mom called me. She was just crying and I couldn't understand what she was saying. We don't have a TV so I was listening to the radio. My mom didn't know at the time what happened so she said it could be a bomb or something. I was so confused listening to the reports and trying to figure out what was really happening while being so tired. I didn't really know till later and was so scared. I rememember Bush ordered the fighter jets at night to protect us so all night long I heard jets flying over. I was so scared.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin