Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Way back WHEN-sday


ca. 2006
3 years ago, my work decided to form a co-ed softball team. I hadn't played since I was 14 years old, so off to the garage I went to dust off the good ol' glove (my favorite since childhood), softball bag and bats (which BTW were sooooo short). I was forced to buy a new batting glove because there was no way I was going to be able to fit my hand into something that small, and some sliding shorts (because for some reason I thought my body could still handle sliding into home base and I refused to have my leg all bruised up.)


Our team name?

THE OZBALLERS

I know the name was tacky, but the name goes hand in hand with the hospital I am employed at.

Trust me, it works.

Every Friday night we headed over to the park before the game so that we could practice. My glove was a little stiff, so it was nice to be able to bend it back into shape. None of us were exceptionally good, and I liked it that way. You either need to enter a league as having a really well coordinated team, or you need to go into it completely sucking all around. Sad to say, we were the latter.

We had double headers every Friday night, so it was quite the long day for those of us just getting off a 12-hour shift to play. To be in our regular street clothes besides the scrubs, the uniforms, or the professional wear was a nice change. We all look so different and I think our personalities come out more when we are not at work...obviously.

So we ended our season with maybe only a handful of games we had won (primarily due to teams that had forfeited), but that's ok. We had such a great time, and there were moments when we knew we were losing so bad that we literally had to laugh our asses off because it was just so damn funny.

The best part of the night?

Post-game drinks


No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin