Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Busy Bee and the Commitment Factor

I have been busy lately. Now I'm not just mentioning that because I think I'm busy or compared to others I may be busy, but I have really truly been tremendously busy. So busy, that there are moments where I don't have a few minutes to myself because there aren't any moments or minutes to spare.

That explains why Little A's scrapbook has been neglected for the past 4 years. It was meant to be a year-by-year collection of his life, but I haven't even finished his 1st year yet.


It's my fault. I know. Don't remind me.

I take on too much at home and work, and I am also one of those people that feels that I have to commit to something if I am invited somewhere. For some reason I have a difficult time saying one little word:


"NO"

Wanna meet up for lunch? Yes.

Can we come over? Yes.

Wanna have a playdate? Yes.

Wanna go the the Phoenix Children's Museum? Yes.

My kid's having a birthday this weekend, can you make it? Yes.

We're getting married. Are you coming? Yes.

Does anyone else have a problem committing to too many things?

Now don't get me wrong, I love going out and doing things with my friends and their kids. My problem is that I tend to do all of these things in a 1 week period and am burned out at the end of the week, yet I don't have a day to be burned out on because something is planned on that day as well.

Between cleaning the house, doing the laundry, changing the sheets, feeding the kids, feeding the dog, feeding myself, picking up toys, fixing broken ones, chasing the baby, nursing a cut, painting a room, running to the bank or doctor or dentist, buying presents for birthdays, and entertaining the kids ON TOP of meeting up with people and having them over is just too much. Plus, in case some of you forget or may not now, I work full-time. And I don't work from home. I guess you could say, I'm on....

As I sit here and type this out, I can think of about 10 other things I need to accomplish after I publish this blog. So starting today, I am trying something new.

I am not going to take on so much.

I'm going to try to take a break. Watch TV, finish a book I may have started on but never got around to finishing, get in touch with a friend I may not have spoken to in a long time, relax in the tub. Something.

I will make time for myself. And if I don't, I will insist that everyone runs on a clock that is an extra 12 hours long to get things done.

2 comments:

Virginia (Jenny) said...

Oh man. First off, I didn't know you worked full time. THAT explains why those other things are exhausting you out! Some people will only commit to one or two activities a week because otherwise, we get burned out. You have to have some down time. :) Yes, go take a bubble bath with a good book. Even add a candle and a good drink.

Kirsty said...

Good luck with thatQ My huge admiration for the fact that you maintain such a full social life on top of mommy-ing and working full-time. I know in your place we would never go anywhere or see anyone.

I get burned out pretty quickly on "too much fun" and I only work part-time, and from home, so I can't imagine how you have kept it up this long. Hope your resolution to chill a little more leads to lots more you-time.
(I'm giving away a bubble bath kit on my blog-it sounds like you need to win it ;)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin