Monday, July 13, 2009

I heart art!

I've found myself recently going back to the good ol' books from college. Sadly, I've had to dust some of them off--Yikes! But hey, it's not like I've had a ton of time, nor any reason to dive into the books that I hardly cracked open while I was spending my days at ASU.....yeah I was one of those students. But alas, I've been going through several books lately, namely my Art History books. I LOVE Art History. Hate world History, but LOVE LOVE LOVE Art History if that makes any bit of sense.

While in college I fell in love with this piece of work:

If you knew who painted this just by looking at it--kudos to you! This painting is titled, "What the Water Gave Me" and it was done by the very talented, Frida Kahlo.

Some may find this painting quite disturbing and very similar to the nightmarish images you may see in a Hieronymous Bosch painting (if you're an art buff). Yet, this painting tells so much about Frida and the pain she suffered in her lifetime. I can sum her life up for you like this (and hopefully it will encourage you to read more about her):

When she was 6, she was stricken with polio which made her right leg weaker and shorter than her left. As a teen, she was involved in a horrific bus accident which shattered her foot, pelvis and back. As a result, she encountered chronic pain in all 3 areas as well as several surgeries to repair her injuries and three miscarriages. Many of her paintings reflect her pain, her heartbreak and love affairs, but also her psychological contradictions that split her sense of self.

Read more about her, but also look at her paintings and see that with each stroke and with each image, there is a story. Quite stirring, yet there is so much history behind it.

And don't worry, I'm not a complete sucker for surrealist art. I do love Baroque art tremendously, such as Gentileschi and Caravaggio. So if your in the mood, look them up and learn something today! :)

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin