Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Oedipus Complex

If you are/were a Psych major, this term may sound familiar to you. If you weren't, allow me to provide you with the definition of this term and how my son and I are experiencing this right now.

The term "Oedipus Complex" is the psychoanalytic theory that pertains to the male's psychosexual development (usually 3-5 years of age) and his attachment to his mother. In other words, it's when a boy is fixated on his mother that he becomes hostile toward his father and competes for his mother's attention.

I remember reading Sophocles' play Oedipus Rex back in the day, which is where the term the "Oedipus Complex" is based from. In this play, Oedipus is out to kill his father so he can have his mother as his wife. Sick, huh?


And how is this relating to me and Little A right now?

Glad you asked.

Little A absolutely adores me and fights Big A tooth and nail just to be with me. For example, just yesterday Little A had swim lessons. He wanted me to take him. I couldn't, so Big A was going to take him. He cried and cried and cried, because....as he put it, "Only Mommy can take me!"

I explained to Little A that Daddy can take him too and it wasn't going to be any different. He begged and pleaded for me to take him, but I refused. He left with tears running down his face, head down and stomping his way out to the car.

Another example, last night while I was getting ready for bed, Little A asked if he could sleep in my bed. I told him no. For the next 10 minutes I was trying to explain to him that he has to sleep in his own bed. Then, he offered a solution..."Daddy can sleep in my bed and I can sleep here...with you." HAHAHA....I had to laugh.

Are you convinced yet that he is experiencing the Oedipus Complex?

How about this: Big A and I were trying to explain to him that mommy and daddy are married and he is our son. Little A then said that he wants to be married to me and Big A can marry Bumblebee.

And just who is "Bumblebee" you might ask?

That would be his favorite Transformer.



I can't even begin to picture how that would turn out:

1 comment:

Lani said...

This is hilarious. Has he always been like this, or is it a wanting Mommy phase?

Blog Widget by LinkWithin