Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Gall Bladder

Well I am happy to report that I had my gall bladder removed. After my son was brought home from the hospital I had an appointment with my surgeon (Dr. Rashidi) about the 3 attacks I have had in the last month. I informed him that I fear what will happen to me EVERY time I eat. His answer was "Well you know what that means...right?"

I was scheduled for surgery 2 days after I met with him. I went in on the 23rd and was suppose to leave the hospital the next day. When I was on solids the day that I was suppose to leave, I told the nurse that I would like to stay 1 more day just to make sure that I can keep solids down.

The next day, I felt kind of sick. I was geared up to go home and Big A was on his way when I looked in the mirror and noticed that my eyes were yellow. I KNEW something was wrong, so I called my nurse over and she said "Ok, I'm calling your Doctor right now."

Within the next half hour I met with a GI doctor and my surgeon once again. They stated that there could be stones still in my system. They drew a picture on the whiteboard in my room and explained that I would have to have an MRI to locate the problem, but they were pretty sure that I had stuff left over in my "common bile duct." (CBD)

I had the MRI an hour later and had to wait a day for the results. When they came back, the doctors were correct. There were some debris left over from my gall bladder that was in my CBD and it was backing up bile into my system which was causing me to turn yellow.

I got extremely sick that night and could no longer hold foods in. I was vomiting like crazy and felt like I was going to die.

The following morning I had an ERCP performed. This is where they go in through your mouth and cut a hole in your lower intestine so they can drain out the duct. It took 30 minutes to do and I was terrified since they don't completely knock you out.

I was fine once it was over and I don't remember any of it. I feel better and I am just glad it's out now.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin