Monday, August 27, 2007

Today was the Day

For those of you that had read my previous post regarding my friend's mother whom I had been trying to get into contact with, here is an update.....

Annie (Elizabeth's mother) and I, have been emailing each other daily since my last blog and she stated that she was going away for 10 weeks on September 3rd, so I knew that I had to meet with her ASAP. She wanted to see what it would feel like to see me and was unsure how it was going to go. She wanted me to bring photos of when I was 7 years old, so I could jog her memory a bit.

The moments leading up to our meeting today were extremely nerve-wracking. I couldn't help but wonder if she was going to back-out of it all together. A part of me couldn't blame her for doing so. I mean, how weird is it to meet the friend of your daughter who had passed on 20 years ago? It was strange, and at times I almost felt like backing-out as well. I didn't.

We met at a quaint little place in Scottsdale for lunch, and I recognized her right away. She had a huge smile on her face when she saw me, and exclaimed "Yes, I definitely remember you. I took you and Elizabeth to the circus. Do you remember that?" I hadn't, but I definitely assured her that it sounded familiar.

We talked for hours over lunch about or lives, our goals are for the future, and all the events leading up to us meeting today. I finally had the opportunity to tell her how much Elizabeth meant to me and that not a SINGLE day ever went by when I didn't think of her. We had moments of laughter and moments of tears, but each of those moments meant the world to me.

She told me that she is currently single and raising an 18 year son she adopted soon after my friend had died. She stated that her son is on drugs and in and out of rehab constantly. She didn't seem too bothered by his troublesome ways as she was telling me all of this. She stated, "There is hope for my son. There is no hope for the daughters that I lost, but there is definitely hope and a chance that I can save my son." I couldn't help but stare deeply into Annie's eyes as she told me about her life and her son. She looked like she has carried the weight of the world on her shoulders her entire life. She's is such an amazing woman and I admire her strength.

She gave me a copy of her book, and signed it "For Michelle, who was a great friend to Elizabeth and keeps her memory alive. Fondly, Annie"

This experience is something that I will NEVER forget. I plan to keep her in my life from here on out.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin